By Roger Myrick
- the dating between homosexual identification, language, and power
- cultural reviews of the ancient improvement of homosexual identity
- studies in well-being communique approximately HIV/AIDS and well-being threat communication
- the political outcomes of public wellbeing and fitness schooling approximately HIV/AIDS on homosexual men
- the political effects of media representations of homosexual id and its dating to illness Based totally on the French student Michel Foucault’s serious, old research of discourse and sexuality, this ebook takes a well timed and unique method which differs from conventional, quantitative verbal exchange experiences. It examines the connection among language and tradition utilizing a qualitative, cultural reports method which areas medicalization theories within the broader context of histories of sexuality, the discursive improvement of up to date homosexual id, and up to date public overall healthiness communication.Author Roger Myrick explains how mainstream conversation approximately HIV/AIDS relentlessly stigmatizes and additional marginalizes homosexual id. He describes how nationwide health and wellbeing schooling stigmatizes teams via associating them with pictures of ailment and “otherness.” Even communique which originates from marginal teams, really these counting on federal money, frequently participates in linking homosexual identities with illness. in keeping with Myrick, executive investment, whereas frequently useful for the continuation of community-based future health campaigns, poses seen and direct regulations on potent marginal schooling. AIDS, communique, and Empowerment permits a rethinking of how marginal teams can take keep an eye on in their personal schooling on public health and wellbeing concerns. As HIV/AIDS situations proceed to upward thrust dramatically between marginalized and disenfranchised teams, research of wellbeing and fitness communique directed towards them turns into an important to their survival. This publication presents worthy insights and knowledge for students, execs, readers drawn to the connection between language, strength and marginal id, and for sessions in homosexual and lesbian stories, overall healthiness conversation, or political communication.
Read or Download AIDS, Communication, and Empowerment: Gay Male Identity and the Politics of Public Health Messages PDF
Best gay & lesbian nonfiction books
Provides a chronological number of Watney's writings from the Nineteen Nineties, with new contextualising introductory and concluding essays and provides a chronicle of the altering and sometimes complicated process the epidemic.
--This textual content refers to an out of print or unavailable variation of this name.
Among 1966 and 1975 North American adolescence activists tested over 35 university- and community-based homosexual liberation adolescence teams whose contributors sought regulate over their very own our bodies, schooling, and sexual and social kin. This booklet specializes in 3 groundbreaking manhattan urban teams -- homosexual early life (GY), highway Transvestite motion Revolutionaries (S.
Achieve very important perception and a broader point of view on the place, why, and the way intercourse staff behavior their businessFor years, the focal point of intercourse paintings learn has been on street-based female and male intercourse employees and the HIV-related dangers they pose to their consumers. modern examine on intercourse paintings strikes past the elemental organization among intercourse paintings and unprotected intercourse to a fuller description of the numerous features of the whereas nonetheless pursuing a greater realizing of HIV threat between these operating the streets.
Winner of a 2004 Washington kingdom publication AwardWinner of a 2004 Alpha Sigma Nu (ASN) Jesuit ebook AwardIn 1893, the Washington country legislature quietly begun passing a suite of legislation that basically made homosexuality, and finally even the dialogue of homosexuality, a criminal offense. A century later Mike Lowry turned the 1st governor of the kingdom to deal with the yearly lesbian and homosexual delight rally in Seattle.
- Precious Perversions: Humor, Homosexuality, and the Southern Literary Canon (Southern Literary Studies)
- Understanding the Male Hustler (Haworth Gay & Lesbian Studies)
- Critically Sovereign: Indigenous Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies
- Queer Issues in Contemporary Latin American Cinema
Additional resources for AIDS, Communication, and Empowerment: Gay Male Identity and the Politics of Public Health Messages